BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'Bus Nostalgia'
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 45, 46, 47  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Transit Bus Manufacturers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RTS_04

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ripta42 wrote:
RTS_04 wrote:
Even on the late Novas? That's odd.

Now that I think of it, I also seem to remember some early TMCs that had a TMC logo pasted over the GM logo on the plate.

Yep, I've got a pic of that in the book. Not sure if it ever went into production like that, but it was on a few demo buses - notably, the first RTS finished in Roswell, which was at the APTA show in '87.

You're right in saying there never was a Nova nameplate in the stepwell.
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ones I saw were on NYCTA buses. I don't remember the exact vintage, but I think they were as late as 1993. Some of our New York drivers may know better.
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RailBus 63,

You're right about the 'larger than life' 'MCI' logos on the Classics from Canada.

I think though that the block letters were appropriate considering that the Classic design was plainly squared.

In any event, their placement, which was almost hidden between the left headlights and the bumper, was certainly not too obtrusive, and did little to spoil the magnificent look of the Classic front end.

If TMC had rebadged the RTS's, I would expect that they would have done so in the same style as had GM.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Jamaica, NY
Cyberider

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RTS's are too new for me to be nostalgic about. Laughing Still, I like the early DD-powered GMC models.
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyberider wrote:
RTS's are too new for me to be nostalgic about. Laughing Still, I like the early DD-powered GMC models.

Dave,

If you figure that the 'RTS' in one form or another has been around for nearly thirty years (and they're not through yet) they have to be heading toward some kind of nostalgia!

I never liked them when the first came out but they sought of grow on you, and there's no denying that they have achieved an important place in the history of surface transportation (warts and all!).

Cyberider

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose the RTS's could be headed for nostalgia for the younger members but my main bus-riding days were over by the time they came on the scene. I did like that they were an evolutionary advance from the Old and New Looks and the original drivetrain wasn't much different than the last New Looks. Of course, I didn't like them when they came out anymore than I liked the New Looks when they appeared but compared to just about any other new bus today, they're great. May they live long on the streets and in our hearts. Laughing
RTS_04

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyberider wrote:
I suppose the RTS's could be headed for nostalgia for the younger members .... May they live long on the streets and in our hearts. Laughing

That's just the thing - the advent of ADA and low-floor buses (particuarly the Gillig Advantage) are quickly taking RTS' away from the streets.

Sure, you'll still find fleets running 'em, but just try and find a GMC still in service - let alone a Series 01 or 03.

If now's not the time for nostalgia for the RTS, when is? Arguably, even now may prove to be too late.
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RTS_4,

I would agree with you when you say that the RTS is slowly sinking into the sunset with operators across the country scrapping them in enmasse.

However, not quite so here in Los Angeles where the LACMTA is making a concerted effort and going to considerable expense to keep their RTS fleet in shipshape.

Virtually every RTS that I see (mostly on Wilshire and Santa Monica Boulevards on the west side) has been overhauled and freshly painted to the new orange and gray 'Local' colors, and they look sensational!

In all fairness though, I suspect that they're taking particularly good care of these buses just in case the Nabi 60 BRT's fall apart (which they are doing!).

Regardless, I enjoy seeing the RTS's still prancing along so proudly.

Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a 1937 Mack Bus ad featuring the versatility of their heavy duty model 'CW' transits operating for the International Railway Company of Buffalo, New York.

International Railway, Mack's largest prewar rear engine customer, purchased 570 buses between 1934 and 1943 of which 370 were 'CW' models.

The CW, a solidly built and reliable coach, was among the favorites of many operators in the northeast with almost 700 being manufactured.

Cyberider

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that's nostalgia, Mr. Linsky! The Mack CW is a good looking bus and I like the designation "CW." In radio terms that stands for "continuous waves" otherwise known as the "Morse code."

We still have a few RTS's running in Phoenix, but they're of the newer non-GMC variety. Of course, they're way better than any low-floor junkbox bus and always will be.
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The schematic below, from a 1953 GM ad, shows the very basic Air Suspension system introduced in that year.

In the most simplistic terms they replaced the traditional steel leaf and coil springs with neoprene bellows to act as cushioning agents.

The idea was great and, with further development, became a most reliable component of the suspension system.

Notes from an operator who happened to drive virtually every one of Green Bus Line's (NY) 1954 TDH 4512's (101 to 115) that came equipped with the first air suspensions for the company;

The chief complaint on the part of both drivers and passengers was a feeling of 'nausea' as the buses rocked like ships in a squall! But, we got used to that.

The other annoyance was the breakdowns caused by leaking or torn bags that usually left one side or the other of the rear end hanging on the ground - wrecker time!

I guess GM made good on the repairs and eventually upgraded the parts because in later years the troubles subsided and the 4512's became very comfortable to ride in.

Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't easy doing the homework on this one!

Pictured below is the interior of a 1949 GM TDH 3612 operated by Tulsa City Lines of Tulsa Oklahoma as fleet # 2932.

Notice the 'news stand' on the dashboard selling the Lincoln Evening Journal - a Lincoln Nebraska daily.

Also of note is the very sophisticated Model 'K5' Johnson Fare Box, the 'GM' builders plate and a placard over the windshield advertising truck rentals through 'City Bus Line's.

What's interesting about 'City Bus Line's' is the fact that in addition to Tulsa they owned the City Line operations in Lincoln, Neb, Decatur and Champaign Urbana Ill, Davenport and Cedar Rapids Iowa, Mobile, Alabama, Saginaw and Kalamazoo, Michigan, Tampa, Fla, Terra Haute, Ind., Beaumont, Tx. and Jackson, Miss.

They purchased a total of 75 3612's over a three year period for these companies.

I guess you could have called them a mini 'Omnibus Corporation'!

Photo borrowed for educational purposes only.

Cyberider

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting photo, Mr. Linsky. The hi-tech farebox looks out of place! I only remember the old-fashioned looking ones from my bus-riding days up to the mid-70's. Thanks for doing your homework on this one, Mr. L!
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyberider wrote:
Interesting photo, Mr. Linsky. The hi-tech farebox looks out of place! I only remember the old-fashioned looking ones from my bus-riding days up to the mid-70's. Thanks for doing your homework on this one, Mr. L!

Dave,

Thanks for your compliment.

While it is true that most transit companies across the country (including my Alma Mater - Green Bus Lines) favored the very simple Johnson Model 'D' pictured below (a machine that remained virtually the same from its inception in 1909), the Johnson company did have a wide array of machines even as early as the forties.

BTW; I have one that was electrified for NYC that I picked up at a flee market some years ago for $20 and had made into a lamp for the den. It looks great, still works and is the ONLY bus related memorabilia that I'm allowed to have outside of my garage! (per my wife!). What can I do - after forty years divorce is out of the question!

Photo courtesy of the Johnson Fare Box Company

Thanks again.

Cyberider

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, that's the one I remember except they were motorized. When I was a kid I loved watching the wheel go round and round and listening to it go clickity-click. Laughing

My wife wasn't too keen on transit paraphanalia in the house either. At least you have your wife and you can keep your "junk" out in the garage. I had my SCRTD rollsigns out in my garage for many years and brought them in a few years ago. The crickets had eaten the unprinted cloth ends off of them but fortunately the rest of them are intact. All I need is a bus to install them in. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Transit Bus Manufacturers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Page 4 of 47

Jump to: