BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Queens Transit Company History
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,

Anyone who admires the 5106 in any color is O.K. with me! I've often said that it was probably the most gorgeous piece of equipment mounted on six wheels (an example below).

Now to get back to the Port Authority/Queens Transit matter and explain my logic for not thinking to search Canadian records (you know how these things come up after the fact!).

In 1971, during the height of U.S. production of the 5300 models, most operators bought from GM in Pontiac.

The rush to Canada for 5300's came in 1979 with the introduction of the RTS which was not an option for a goodly number of U.S. bus companies, and when they learned that GMD was to continue 'New Look' production indefinately for its own consumers they jumped with Santa Monica Municipal Bus being among the first of a long list including Green Line!

That was the logic of my thinking - was I all wrong?

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY

Photo courtesy of GM Photographic.

Now, this is my idea of a 5106
asdfasdf

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:
Bob,

Anyone who admires the 5106 in any color is O.K. with me! I've often said that it was probably the most gorgeous piece of equipment mounted on six wheels (an example below).

Now to get back to the Port Authority/Queens Transit matter and explain my logic for not thinking to search Canadian records (you know how these things come up after the fact!).

In 1971, during the height of U.S. production of the 5300 models, most operators bought from GM in Pontiac.

The rush to Canada for 5300's came in 1979 with the introduction of the RTS which was not an option for a goodly number of U.S. bus companies, and when they learned that GMD was to continue 'New Look' production indefinately for its own consumers they jumped with Santa Monica Municipal Bus being among the first of a long list including Green Line!

That was the logic of my thinking - was I all wrong?

Photo courtesy of GM Photographic.

Now, this is my idea of a 5106

Maintenance of rosters has never been an easy thing to do. With the Internet so easily available, one has to be careful with what they say. There is a Queens Transit roster on this forum, which shows that the buses in question are from Canada (an extra zero in the VIN, but what the heck).

The fear is that some unknowing person would see the post and then go around saying that Queens Transit had second hand buses from Pittsburgh is what concerned me.

Bob K
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob K.

I did attempt to find the information on Q65A's roster but could not.

I think I have adequately explained my error "publically', and the logic that led me to my belief!

And the fact that someone happening by might have gotten some mis-information would have been no great shakes because it would have been corrected (as it obviously has!).

This board is a sharing of ideas and information amongst its members, and once in a while there may be an error here or there, and we depend upon each other to nip such mistakes in the bud (just as you have!).

I think this matter is closed now.

Thanks for sharing.

Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOTICE!

The picture and brief essay on ex Queens Nassau Transit # 807 has been moved to Bus Nostalgia where I believe it really belongs and where it may get a little more attention!

Thank you.

Mr. Linsky - Green Buis Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: