BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GM NEW LOOK ODDITIES
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Transit Bus Manufacturers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though the focus of the below photo is standing in a typical winter snow scene in the 'windy city', the weather has no relevance here but the oddities seen on fleet # 9219 certainly do.

# 9219 - a 1976 53 passenger GM Coach Model T8H-5307A and one of 1837 likenesses numbered in the 1000's, 7000's, and 9000's delivered to the Chicago Transit Authority (CTA) in increments between 1972 and 1977, featured all sealed windows including the driver's side sash with only a custom made showcase type slider in the lower portion.

I wonder whether the sealed windows were meant to keep the cabin warmer in the winter or cooler in the summer but, in any event, it certainly reflected the confidence that the CTA had in GM Air Conditioning equipment at the time.

While the CTA's 1837 T8H-5307's might have been an all time record order for GM, it certainly was the largest of any one general production model and represented nearly half of the 3939 built.

Photo courtesy of '4509bus' and is available on eBay as item # 350972459434.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, New York

Last edited by Mr. Linsky on Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
frankie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:

I wonder whether the sealed windows were meant to keep the cabin warmer in the winter or cooler in the summer but, in any event, it certainly reflected the confidence that the CTA had in GM Air Conditioning equipment at the time.

That was the intent, however there's more to this story and an interesting story indeed that deserves mentioning here. Most of the following information is credited to the July-Sept 2002 issue of MCA. This being the first ever order for air conditioning, the mindset of CTA management was that if you have air conditioning, you don't need windows that open. What was to be the best of intentions turned out to be a frustrating nightmare for almost the next 10 years and the problems started soon after and gives new meaning to the term "domino effect".

Since air conditioning slows down the buses, drivers tended to refuse to turn the air on especially on really hot days with heavy passenger loads. Of course his cockpit window was open for his comfort! Later deliveries had fully automatic air disallowing drivers to turn off which in turn allowed compressors to fail and this in turn caused freon lines to leak. This caused the system to default to "heat" regardless of the outside temperature and as a result passengers popped out the side windows for relief.

Since these windows were not designed to be left hanging for extended periods, hinges tended to break allowing for the windows to fall off. Frustrations for CTA mounted when GM wouldn't supply new windows since window sashes was an item rarely replaced. More importantly, GM was no long building new looks that this time. Since seven thousand windows needed to be replaced, a local fabricating shop was contracted to make them. What resulted were sashes an 1/2 inch too small and in some cases, improperly angled allowing the windows to rattle and letting in drafts, however according to management, they were better than the sealed ones. Unfortunately passengers continued popping them and many of the buses wandered the streets both summer and winter with flapping windows. All together, CTA wounded up buying 15,000 windows!

And no, this was not the end of the problems! To keep the air conditioning working, compressors had to be maintained in alignment with the power takeoff on the transmission via the drive shaft with two U-joints. As the buses aged, the bulkhead in front of the engine would crack finally making it impossible to maintain this alignment. If not repaired, the cracking would ultimately lead to cracks in the bus floor.

All because of not ordering opening windows!

Frankie
buslist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankie wrote:

This being the first ever order for air conditioning,

Frankie

Actually that's not the case as TDH-5303s 800-804 and F2D6V-401-1s 3240-3244 of 1965 were built with air conditioning.
buslist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Dearstyne posted this photo of what appears to be a 4521, with the oddity of a double wide rear exit door. Don't think I have ever seen that feature on a 35' 'bowl before.

image.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  189.43 KB
 Viewed:  24103 Time(s)

image.jpg

Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buslist,

Now, Hudson Bus is about the best GM New Look oddity I've seen so far!

Thanks for sharing.

BTW; I expect to be in London in late April to visit cousins out in Southend on Sea and figured that if your in town maybe we can do lunch.

Many regards,

Mr. 'L'
roymanning2000

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the mid-sixties, the MBTA in Boston purchased a group of TDH4519's with the double-wide exit door. I'd be willing to bet that this Hudson bus is one of those. A number of Boston-area operators acquired MBTA fishbowls then they were retired.

Hudson, with several operating divisions in Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Maine, had a varied and interesting fleet of buses. They were always a favorite of mine.

Roy
RailBus63

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roymanning2000 wrote:
In the mid-sixties, the MBTA in Boston purchased a group of TDH4519's with the double-wide exit door. I'd be willing to bet that this Hudson bus is one of those. A number of Boston-area operators acquired MBTA fishbowls then they were retired.

Correct - Hudson #6752 was indeed an ex-MBTA TDH-4519, one of four buses numbered 6752 to 6755 by Hudson. Hudson purchased various used New Looks from the authority, some for parts and others which were overhauled for additional service throughout Eastern Massachusetts alongside used Old Looks from PSNJ and New Looks from Washington D.C. and elsewhere.

Jim D.
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More on Chicago's sealed window New Looks;

When I first looked at # 9219 above, I did notice what appeared to be a slightly larger glass (vertically) in the aft most passenger window but chalked it up to possibly an optical illusion.

However, in the recent find of another of CTA's like 9000's seen below, my original suspicions seem to be confirmed and made even more so by the fact that the sash in question appears to be hanging ajar.

I've searched my photographic library and found only one or two similar examples operating for other companies and am left to wonder why this oddity existed unless it was deemed as an emergency exit in lieu of the fact that their were no formal emergency doors and in spite of the fact that all passenger windows were of kick out design.

New photo below courtesy of '4509bus' and is available at eBay as item # 370998636695.

frankie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could very well be one of those "flapping" windows left open by passengers for heat relief that I mentioned seven threads above.

Frankie
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankie wrote:
It could very well be one of those "flapping" windows left open by passengers for heat relief that I mentioned seven threads above.

Frankie

Frankie,

Granted - but that still doesn't answer the question as to why the windows are larger.

Regards,

Mr. 'L'
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seen on a very warm summer day in the late fifties in downtown New Britain, Connecticut with a heading of Osgood Heights is fleet # 26 - a 1953 37 passenger GM Coach modeled as a TDH 3714 operating for the New Britain Transportation Company, Inc.

#26's original owner, Wagner Service Company (a smaller property operating in the same geographical area), ordered the bus as their #10 and with under seat heaters in lieu of a Thermo-Matic system (quite unusual for operation in the Northeast).

The oddity here though are the two mysterious blue lights over the destination sign that were seen on all buses ordered for intra state service in Connecticut in that era - to date, I have no explanation as to what purpose they served.

The New Britain Transportation Company (affectionately known as NBT and now a division of CT Transit) was founded in 1920 and has continuously served its Nutmeg State namesake city and the surrounding towns of Plainville, Berlin and Bristol as well as portions of Meriden, Cromwell, Newington and Farmington.

Photo courtesy of the Motor Bus Society

frankie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:

The oddity here though are the two mysterious blue lights over the destination sign that were seen on all buses ordered for intra state service in Connecticut in that era - to date, I have no explanation as to what purpose they served.

Just a shot in the dark, but if you scroll down and read 4b of the 2005 Connecticut Code regarding colored lights on a vehicle, this may be a clue to answer your question.

Perhaps during the mid to late '40's, buses in Connecticut were used in emergency situations, thus blue lights were installed for that purpose as spelled out in the codes.

http://law.justia.com/codes/connecticut/2005/title14/sec14-96p.html

Frankie
Free-transfer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankie is on to something here...I'm going to go with green lights.

(2) Any vehicle accommodating fifteen or fewer handicapped
students may use a flashing red light or lights during the time
such vehicle is stopped for the purpose of receiving or discharging
such handicapped students, any motor bus may carry a purple
light or lights, any interstate public service vehicle may carry a
green light or lights, any taxicab may carry a lunar white light or
lights, and any interstate commercial motor vehicle may display
green identification lights, in front thereof, as the commissioner
may permit.

ct928_bera_10082000mp.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  62.46 KB
 Viewed:  23593 Time(s)

ct928_bera_10082000mp.jpg

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly, let me apologize for placing the above New Britain oddity in this 'New Look' thread instead of in GM Old Look Oddities - I must be losing my mind!

Anyway, I'm on the right track here in presenting fleet # 826 - an early eighties 5300 series 53 passenger GMDD (Canadian) Coach for which I find no available production information on and which operated for the Green Bay Transit Company of Green Bay, Wisconsin.

As can be readily seen, # 826 has been altered to include a wheelchair access just forward of the rear door along with a square sash at its side to replace the original panoramic slider.

The all white body with the wide blue strip under the window belt trailing a narrower strip across the front clip is very reminiscent of the last New York MTA New Look livery.

Credit within frame.

frankie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice find Mr. L! That square sash looks like the same one used on the emergency door from the street side. All in all, very functional and it doesn't look bad at all.

Another oddity about this bus is the blue side panel containing Green Bay Transit that overlaps the bottom of the half moon window. Usually the bottom of that window is in line with the bottom of the top door windows.

Frankie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Transit Bus Manufacturers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 7 of 11

Jump to: