BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'VINTAGE NEW YORK CITY'
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 134, 135, 136 ... 149, 150, 151  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankie wrote:
Great detective work Mr. L.

I just checked Google Maps and those residential buildings are still standing, albeit updated with vinyl siding. The old Bohack is now called the Metro Deli Mini Market.

Frankie

frankie,

Thanks - this was an easy one because I Googled March 21st. 1952 along with a brief description figuring that it would have made headlines the next day and a page of items on it came up.

There is one other accident that has me stumped because I don't know the date that it occurred other than to say that it must have been between 1947 and 1951 and I know that it had media coverage because I remember it on the T.V. news.

It involved a Green Bus Lines 1947 TDH 4507 numbered 926 that had reached the lower edge of the Queens Borough Bridge ramp on the Queens side heading to Jamaica on the Q60 line when it was T-boned between a Bridge trolley and a superstructure pillar.

The aftermath left a tall narrow bus which had to be sent to Hudson Body Works in Hoboken for major repairs.

There's got to be a picture of it somewhere but so far no luck.

I equate the years merely because only the latest equipment was ever used on the Q60 and that would have been the 4507's at the time.

See what you can come up with.

Many regards,

Mr. 'L'
Q65A

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To this day, the end of that ramp on the Queensboro Bridge is still the site of some serious (and sometimes fatal) traffic accidents.
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q65A wrote:
To this day, the end of that ramp on the Queensboro Bridge is still the site of some serious (and sometimes fatal) traffic accidents.

Bob,

When I worked for Green Line the old timer's told of a horrible accident back in the twenties or thirties involving a bus that lost its brakes on the bridge and careened down toward 2nd. Avenue and finally colliding with one of the decorative heavy granite lamp stanchions at the edge of the ramp (see upper photo) and did so with such velocity that the structure was knocked askew and still stands that way today (it is said that the driver deliberately made this maneuver to prevent incursion into 2nd. Avenue traffic - he died a hero along with several passengers!).

In searching for the photo of the stanchion I came across the interesting image (lower frame) said to have been taken in 1950 and showing a Green Line 1937 or 1938 Mack model CT climbing what the driver must have thought was the side of a mountain for the notoriously underpowered CT in trying to get back to Queens over the bridge on the Q60 to Jamaica.

Frankly, if the photo was taken as late as 1950 I can't see how the company would have assigned a CT to this route any more but I guess stranger things have happened!

BTW; note the upper roadway traffic heading outbound to Queens which, in those days, meant that it was late in the afternoon and after the direction was changed from inbound - you can thank my father in law for fabricating and installing the steel work for the second upper roadway sometime in the fifties.

Upper photo courtesy of Printerest
Lower photo courtesy of Corbisimages.com.

Regards,

Mr. 'L'

Last edited by Mr. Linsky on Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
X-Astorian

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:

There is one other accident that has me stumped because I don't know the date that it occurred other than to say that it must have been between 1947 and 1951 and I know that it had media coverage because I remember it on the T.V. news.

It involved a Green Bus Lines 1947 TDH 4507 numbered 926 that had reached the lower edge of the Queens Borough Bridge ramp on the Queens side heading to Jamaica on the Q60 line when it was T-boned between a Bridge trolley and a superstructure pillar.

The aftermath left a tall narrow bus which had to be sent to Hudson Body Works in Hoboken for major repairs.

I equate the years merely because only the latest equipment was ever used on the Q60 and that would have been the 4507's at the time.

Many regards,

Mr. 'L'

Mr. L., This partial article from the Long Island Star-Journal documents a collision very similar to the one you described. Unfortunately, there's no photo.

photo bb2e7da8-82c2-4ab4-af75-4bf3767835ec.jpg
X-Astorian

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. L,

While this terrible collision which killed two as reported in the January 17, 1950, New York Times, occurred at the Manhattan end of the Queensboro, involved a FACCO bus without a trolley, the image may be one you recall from your youth.

011750 photo NYT011750.jpg
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:
Q65A wrote:

Bob,

When I worked for Green Line the old timer's told of a horrible accident back in the twenties or thirties involving a bus that lost its brakes on the bridge and careened down toward 2nd. Avenue and finally colliding with one of the decorative heavy granite lamp stanchions at the edge of the ramp (see upper photo) and did so with such velocity that the structure was knocked askew and still stands that way today (it is said that the driver deliberately made this maneuver to prevent incursion into 2nd. Avenue traffic - he died a hero along with several passengers!).

In searching for the photo of the stanchion I came across the interesting image (lower frame) said to have been taken in 1950 and showing a Green Line 1937 or 1938 Mack model CT climbing what the driver must have thought was the side of a mountain for the notoriously underpowered CT in trying to get back to Queens over the bridge on the Q60 to Jamaica.

Frankly, if the photo was taken as late as 1950 I can't see how the company would have assigned a CT to this route any more but I guess stranger things have happened!

BTW; note the upper roadway traffic heading outbound to Queens which, in those days, meant that it was late in the afternoon and after the direction was changed from inbound - you can thank my father in law for fabricating and installing the steel work for the second upper roadway sometime in the fifties.

Upper photo courtesy of Printerest
Lower photo courtesy of Corbisimages.com.

Regards,

Mr. 'L'

A footnote to the black and white picture of the QB bridge. One of the Trolley entrances is preserved as a visitors' center on nearby Roosevelt Islad.
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Astorian wrote:
Mr. Linsky wrote:

Many regards,

Mr. 'L'

Mr. L., This partial article from the Long Island Star-Journal documents a collision very similar to the one you described. Unfortunately, there's no photo.

photo bb2e7da8-82c2-4ab4-af75-4bf3767835ec.jpg

X-Astorian,

Fantastic find - the date, which may have been the day before publication, is half the battle - the other half will be finding pictures!

And yes, this would be the accident that I referred to earlier.

I remember when the bus came back from Hoboken it was absolutely brand new and I also remember that it was Hudson Body Works because they put their decal over the top of the interior of the windshield.

Thanks so much for the information.

Regards,

Mr. 'L'
X-Astorian

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:

Fantastic find - the date, which may have been the day before publication, is half the battle - the other half will be finding pictures!

And yes, this would be the accident that I referred to earlier.

I remember when the bus came back from Hoboken it was absolutely brand new and I also remember that it was Hudson Body Works because they put their decal over the top of the interior of the windshield.

Thanks so much for the information.

Regards,

Mr. 'L'

Mr. L.,

You're quite welcome and glad it was the same one. Because the Star-Journal was an afternoon paper and the collision occurred at 8:00 am, it was the same day as publication - January 12, 1955. The short turnaround could explain the lack of a photo although the paper's offices were only a couple of blocks from the incident. I also checked the following day's Star-Journal and found that a runaway trolley butted a car into an "L" pillar at Queens Plaza less than 18 hours after the Green Bus collision. Not a good day for the Queensboro Bridge Railway.

X-A
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a footnote on the within photo;

The caption accompanying the image stated that it was taken in 1950 but one thing bothered me about that which was the fact that 2nd. Avenue is shown as one way and, to my knowledge, the one way avenue program came a few years later.

However, I checked records and 2nd. did become one way on June 4th. 1951 so the photo had to have been taken post that date but certainly not too much later judging by the vehicles in the scene.

Regards,

Mr. 'L'

Hart Bus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:

The caption accompanying the image stated that it was taken in 1950 but one thing bothered me about that which was the fact that 2nd. Avenue is shown as one way and, to my knowledge, the one way avenue program came a few years later.

However, I checked records and 2nd. did become one way on June 4th. 1951 so the photo had to have been taken post that date but certainly not too much later judging by the vehicles in the scene.

Regards,

Mr. 'L'

WCA:

Here's another question for you to ponder about the picture. What company is operating the bus that is shown heading to Queens about 2/3 of the way up the ramp.

ECA
frankie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure Mr. L identified it as a Green Line 1937 or 1938 Mack CT in his original posting.

Frankie
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hart Bus wrote:
Mr. Linsky wrote:

Regards,

Mr. 'L'

WCA:

Here's another question for you to ponder about the picture. What company is operating the bus that is shown heading to Queens about 2/3 of the way up the ramp.

ECA

ECA,

See June 22nd. 2014 (4:49 AM) post earlier on this page.

Don't even believe that I could have missed that!

Regards,

WCA
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seen sometime in the early thirties and awaiting its next trip on the 'C' line via Fifth Avenue between Mount Vernon and the Dyre Avenue 233rd. Street IRT station in The Bronx is fleet #521 - a 1931 38 passenger White Motor Company model 54A chassis carrying a body by others and operating for the Westchester Street Transportation Company Division of the Third Avenue Railway System (TARS).

#521, one of fifty one likenesses numbered from 510 to 560, was originally ordered by TARS predecessor Westchester Electric to convert six of their traction lines to buses in 1930 and 1931.

The 500's ran for TARS' in Westchester up until the beginning of the war when most were transferred to the company's Bronx operations to serve out the rest of their careers.

Of note on #521 are the updated bi-fold doors and the 'W' affixed to the front bumper which could either have meant White or Westchester?

Photo courtesy of 'Vintage-Vault75' and is available at eBay as item # 181443367875.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, New York

Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In what appears in this 1946 shot to be a bone yard in Brooklyn is actually filled with still operating buses from as early as 1930 with the most interesting being fleet #149 (center) - a 1930 23 passenger Twin Coach modeled as a 20 and one of only four likenesses numbered 149 to 152 ever purchased by the Brooklyn Bus Corporation.

Dubbed as a 'miniature model 40', Twin's model 20 was a cut down version of Frank Fageol's unbelievably successful and often imitated but never duplicated ground breaking street transit design that became the template that all manufacturers have followed since.

While the model 40 featured dual engines (thus the name Twin), its half pint heavy duty cousin made it with a single 90-hp Hercules WXO power plant coupled to a three speed mechanical transmission along with four wheel air brakes and was ideal as a low volume feeder to trunk lines of large properties.

Of note on #149 (center) is a strange seesaw windshield wiper arrangement in which two pieces of glass share the same transmission due to the awkward placement of the divider.

You can also get a good idea of what the size of pre convention New York State license plates appeared like in those days.

The little model 20's soldiered on well through the war years and beyond under the umbrella of the city's first bus division.

Photo courtesy of 'bk.sales' and is available at eBay as item # 271524119338.

Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every so often, I come up with a photo that is so compelling that it must be shared with all.

Seen shortly after arrival from the factory and being readied for service at a company facility in Manhattan is fleet #2628 - a 1958 45 passenger GM Coach modeled as a TDH-5106 and one of ninety likenesses numbered from 2605 and 2694 purchased in increments between 1958 and 1959 by Fifth Avenue Coach Lines, Inc.

# 2628 is so new that it has yet to receive either its first New York State Public Service Commission inspection sticker or its main destination scrolls as can be seen missing in a specially built cabinet above the windshield designed for fluorescent back lighting.

While #2628 and its ilk were built as a 51 passenger buses they are configured for only 45 due to a salon style U shaped seating plane aft of the rear doors.

This order along with forty almost exact duplicates purchased for commonly owned Surface Transit, Inc. were the last Old Looks for the company.

It's always so refreshing to see a brand new bus before it's maiden voyage especially through the rough and tumble streets of the Big Apple!

Photo 'borrowed' for educational purposes only.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 134, 135, 136 ... 149, 150, 151  Next
Page 135 of 151

Jump to: