BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

On this day in 1964, we beheld the glorious future.......
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 21, 22, 23  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2024 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(SEE PREVIOUS POST)

W.B.:

Compare these photos depicting an early "Hi-V" (IRT) with an LIRR "MP-41"............

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?138710

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?43392

(courtesy: nycsubway.org)

["SUBWAY"]
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2024 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
(SEE PREVIOUS POST)

W.B.:

Compare these photos depicting an early "Hi-V" (IRT) with an LIRR "MP-41"............

["SUBWAY"]

I.I.N.M., George Gibbs had a hand in the design of both cars (or at least, the original 1904 "Gibbs" cars, on the "Eye-Are-Tee").
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2024 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B. Fishbowl wrote:
(SEE PREVIOUS POST)

W.B.:

["SUBWAY"]

I.I.N.M., George Gibbs had a hand in the design of both cars (or at least, the original 1904 "Gibbs" cars, on the "Eye-Are-Tee").

W.B.:

Yes, I recall first learning this when I first picked up my copy of Cudahy's "UNDER THE SIDEWALKS OF NEW YORK", back in 1979.

Just a little "aside" here...........

Recall how the "R-12/14s" were scaled-down versions of the "R-10s" (aka "Thunderbirds"), built by ACF/

I have to admit I would have loved to have seen an "Eye-En-Dee" version of the "R-15" (LOVED those porthole windows!) Wink

OK, I know that the "R-11" DID have porthole windows on the passenger doors............

"NYO"

["A.C.F."]
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2024 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a little "aside" here...........

Recall how the "R-12/14s" were scaled-down versions of the "R-10s" (aka "Thunderbirds"), built by ACF/

I have to admit I would have loved to have seen an "Eye-En-Dee" version of the "R-15" (LOVED those porthole windows!) Wink

OK, I know that the "R-11" DID have porthole windows on the passenger doors............

"NYO"

["A.C.F."]

The R-16 (if the R-68 was the "Hippo" of the system, were these cars "Elephants"?) did have the round window on the front, though, and the R-17 was a scaled-down version of that.

What I would've loved to see was a "Bee-Em-Tee" / "Eye-En-Dee" version of the R-21/22 with the square double-pane front door window, though. That never happened, of course . . .
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2024 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

Agreed.

Perhaps a another good moniker for the "R-16" might have been the "Jumbos"? (when compared to the "R-17")? Wink

I, also, would have loved seeing an "Eye-En-Dee" version of the "R-21/22"; Your's Truly spent a LOT of most enjoyable "quality time" at the RFWs of the "21s/22s, back in the day! Very Happy

Now.....imagine an "Eye-Are-Tee" version of the "R-11"........ Wink

"NYO"

["INDEPENDENT SUBWAY SYSTEM"]
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2024 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

Agreed.

Perhaps a another good moniker for the "R-16" might have been the "Jumbos"? (when compared to the "R-17")? Wink

I, also, would have loved seeing an "Eye-En-Dee" version of the "R-21/22"; Your's Truly spent a LOT of most enjoyable "quality time" at the RFWs of the "21s/22s, back in the day! Very Happy

Now.....imagine an "Eye-Are-Tee" version of the "R-11"........ Wink

It could be argued that, apart from the outer finishes of the respective cars, the WF R-36 (and single-car R-33) was an "Eye-Are-Tee" version of the R-32 (or in Brooklynese, "Are-Toity-Two"). Or was the R-32 a "Bee-Em-Tee" / "Eye-En-Dee" version of the R-33/36WF, but for its massively fluted/corrugated stainless steel finish? In any event, had the R-32 not been built by Budd, no doubt it would've had the same paint scheme and design / layout on the outside as the R-33/36WF.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2024 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

Good points, all! Wink

Recall, I had mentioned earlier, that, quite awhile ago, I had read aboutr new lightweight cars considered for replacing the old wooden "Qs" on "da Moit"; I believe these would have been designated "R-39", and would have been scaled-down versions of the "R-38s" (aka "Brightliner Wannabes"), that is, had the elevated line been retained.

Too, I have often thought of an "Eye-En-Dee/Bee-Em-Tee" version of a WF "Bluebird". Very Happy

In Roger Arcara's "WESTCHESTER'S FORGOTTEN RAILWAY", there is a rendition of what new cars would have looked like, had the railway not gone under.

These would have been two-unit articulated cars (operating off of catenary), built by BUDD, and easily recalling the "Bee-Em-Tee's" sleek "Zephyr" of 1934.

The new "Westchester" cars also would have had end portholes, as were used by the original MU's.

Ahhh. what might have been.........

"NYO"

["SAVE TIME! GO WESTCHESTER!"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2024 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

You and I, both (and many older fellows) still lament the passing of both classic SMEE equipment and, of course, the time-honored RFW.

Now, I have to be honest here, and have to say that today's subway cars, while indeed lacking the appeal of the classic cars we so fondly recall (Your's Truly goes back to the prewar rolling stock days!) are QUITE easy on the eye, compared to the ultra-modern rolling stock now operating on systems across the globe.

For sure, "Noo Yawk's" modern NTT rolling stock IS indeed bland and lackluster, BUT, at least, they do NOT resemble the mutated serpents and giant insects now slithering about below ground in many cities.

Personally, I'll take a "humdrum" NTT from "Noo Yawk" over one of the sinister-looking creatures from abroad.....some of these trains are indeed frightening just to gaze upon; giant human-gorging "Le Escargo Electrique" for certain................. Shocked

"NYO"

["PRESSED STEEL"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2024 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No......this is NOT a photo snapped at the "Eye-Are-Tee's" 180th Street yards, circa-1982............(!!) Shocked

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?149180

["RATP"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2024 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New species of meat-eating electric eel, native to Sweden............ Shocked

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?114213

["TUNNELBANA"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2024 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rome, NOT the "Eye-Are-Tee", circa-1980.............. Razz

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?126152

["M"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2024 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If ever there is another "INDiana Jones" film made, it should be set in London, and be entitled:

"INDIANA JONES MEETS QUARTERMASS AND THE PIT" Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil

(to be REALLY frightened out of your wits, check out the totally alien, totally bizarre Siemen's "Evo" concept train!)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Underground_2024_Stock

["UndergrounD"]
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2024 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

You and I, both (and many older fellows) still lament the passing of both classic SMEE equipment and, of course, the time-honored RFW.

Now, I have to be honest here, and have to say that today's subway cars, while indeed lacking the appeal of the classic cars we so fondly recall (Your's Truly goes back to the prewar rolling stock days!) are QUITE easy on the eye, compared to the ultra-modern rolling stock now operating on systems across the globe.

For sure, "Noo Yawk's" modern NTT rolling stock IS indeed bland and lackluster, BUT, at least, they do NOT resemble the mutated serpents and giant insects now slithering about below ground in many cities.

Personally, I'll take a "humdrum" NTT from "Noo Yawk" over one of the sinister-looking creatures from abroad.....some of these trains are indeed frightening just to gaze upon; giant human-gorging "Le Escargo Electrique" for certain................. Shocked

"NYO"

["PRESSED STEEL"]

Nor do today's "Noo Yawk" subway cars resemble mutated serpents or giant insects that travel above ground in the city and are passed off as "buses."
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2024 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

Agreed 100%.

What passes for "buses" today in "Noo Yawk" are "buses" in name only; they are nothing but a conglomeration of bizarre, avante-garde styling and lackluster deign.

When the last "Are-Tee-Es" was retired several years back, the era of what constituted a "classic" bus ended forever............ Sad

"NYO"

(Hard to believe that the iconic "Shermans" have now been gone from the streets of "Noo Yawk for over a half-century now) Sad
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2024 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graffiti...........

It was, as we know, that rampant subway graffiti established a firm stronghold in "Noo Yawk", beginning in the 70s; it was, indeed, an unsettling "social commentary" that proclaimed loudly that the city was spiraling out of control, and that the vandals were in charge.

A number of rapid transit systems across the globe also had to deal with the unsightly defacing of rolling stock by the "FUA" Brigade ("Frustrated Urban Artists")

Back in the 1990s, there was a sobering article in a British rail magazine, which told of how bad things were getting on London's "tubes", particularly on the Northern line in London (deep-level tubes)

There was graffiti, rising crime, drug use, and suicides; in fact, back then, many started calling the Northern line (whose first MU equipment was built by ACF in 1907) "The Misery Line"

A lot of what I read in that article eerily echoed New York.

Berlin, Paris, and Rome also have had a number of issues with transit graffiti; when a number of retired Berlin "U-Bahn" cars were being shipped to South Korea for further service years ago, they were splattered with graffiti, indeed echoing the New York subways of the 1970s and early/mid-1980s.

I have even heard that Moscow's opulent Metro has also had issues, believe it or not, with graffiti, on several lines.

Talk about a "global epidemic".................... Sad

"NYO"

["UndergrounD"]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 10 of 23

Jump to: