BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Indiana Jones storms the IRT----in Scotland!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

".......LEDs first made their way to RTS lighting in an OEM application on buses equipped with vertical tail lamps, where the industry-standard lamp housings made the switch to such lighting virtually painless......

"........NOVA continued to revamp the lighting systems. While headlights continued to to be of a sealed-beam design, turn signals and tail lamps now utilized LEDs.................."

"NYO"

["M"]
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
(SEE PREVIOUS POST)

Speaking of florescent lighting in buses.........

Were the "Are-Tee-Es" the last new buses to be equipped with florescent lighting, or were the earliest "milk cartons" and "Wurlitzers"/'Slinkies"/"Bendies" also so equipped?

I would imagine all the buses now are fitted with LED lighting...........

"NYO"

["MTA"]

I seem to remember that the first of the "milk cartons" to hit the streets, in the late 1990's/early 2000's, had old-style fluorescent lighting. This was when the electronic signs had the "neon yellow" dots that turned either left-right or top-bottom to spell out certain characters, instead of now which are likewise "El-Ee-Dee."
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

Don't get Your's Truly started on the massive "GOH" of the 1980's (!!)

Blue stripes disappeared, as did original roller curtains.

Straphanger straps disappeared (with the exception of the "Redbirds"), replaced with overhead bars that, when you are not Wilt Chamberlin, are NOT the most comfortable pieces of hardware to grasp (I'm about 5' 7")

The new interior paint schemes were about as inspired and as attractive as uncooked oatmeal.

And DON'T get me started about who they RUINED the bulkheads of the "Brightliners" and the "R-38s" ("Brightliner Wannabes") with those ridiculous little "cyclops" signs.

And, how about those snappy-looking blue doors on the "Brightliners"?

Gone as well!

Man, what we lost, all in the name of "GOH"........... Sad

"NYO"

["M"]

I'm with you entirely on that score - I likewise despised what was done to those exteriors, especially the front end . . . like I said, ruined.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

Thankfully, at least the remaining "Redbirds" were spared the many senseless indignities suffered by so many car classes with that massive 1980s GOH.

The "Redbirds" were also the last cars to have interior lights that flashed on and off (in true "Noo Yawk" fashion) when the train went through switch.

On a somewhat related note, the original wooden INTERBOROUGH ticket booth (on the Brooklyn-bound platform at Wall Street (Lex) was (literally) chopped into kindling (what a grim sight) and replaced with a replica.

Granted, the replica indeed did justice to the original (I believe it even used the original brass grills) but, still, it was NOT the original.

I always had a great interest in the old ticket/change/token booths; into the early 1980s, I can recall a number of stations still using booths that had originally sold tickets (and I well recall the old booth at the elevated 61st Street-Woodside station on the #7 (a pal from work then lived in Woodside), as well as the ancient wooden escalator.

The new "Em-Tee-Yay" booths of the 70s and 80s looked more at home at a toll plaza than in a subway station.

For years, I used to keep my eyes peeled (again, this is the "INDiana Jones" urban archeologist in me!) for long-closed booths; in fact, I kept notes in a small notepad, which, sadly, I misplaced long ago)

In the early 1980's, there were still a couple of handsome silver/chrome booths at one entrance to the "Eye-En-Dee" fare control at the "Port-of-Authority", still intact during the early years of the PABT's "improvement".

These obviously dated back to about the time the terminal opened in 1950.

I also recall several old booths still having small "OPPY" ("Subway Sun") decals showing a smiling clock face advising straphangers to :

"SAVE TIME! BY EXTRA TOKENS TODAY!"

Ahhhh, the memories........ Rolling Eyes

"NYO"

["THE SUBWAY SUN"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nowadays, even the intrepid "INDiana Jones" himself would have more than a bit of difficulty in trying to locate the few remaining, long-closed change booths, themselves fleeting reminders of a long-ago era...........

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?145808

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?145524

(courtesy: nycsubway.org)

["GET CHANGE HERE"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in 2010, this long-disused, decrepit, ancient wooden change booth could still be seen in the closed mezzanine area at the BMT's "BOWERY" station; talk about a rare relic of a past civilization...........

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?109096

['BOWERY"]
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in 2010, this long-disused, decrepit, ancient wooden change booth could still be seen in the closed mezzanine area at the BMT's "BOWERY" station; talk about a rare relic of a past civilization...........

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?109096

['BOWERY"]

Given that station's name, it seems (in a rather unfortunate way) to fit in with that thoroughfare that for decades was known as "Skid Row."
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

Ironically, back in the 60s, "cartoon-y" TDI ad posters/cards touting: "IT PAYS TO SAVE AT THE BOWERY!" adorned many station platforms and the interiors of the subway cars, buses, and ferryboats (I recall these well; there were also a number of TV and radio commercials, with a cheery little jingle).......

"NYO"
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

Ironically, back in the 60s, "cartoon-y" TDI ad posters/cards touting: "IT PAYS TO SAVE AT THE BOWERY!" adorned many station platforms and the interiors of the subway cars, buses, and ferryboats (I recall these well; there were also a number of TV and radio commercials, with a cheery little jingle).......

"NYO"

'Course, that was the name of the bank (Bowery Savings Bank) . . . and before a certain former "Yankee Clipper" became their spokesperson.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still recall (early/mid-1960s) car car ads for "NESTLE'S" with Paul Winchell (and Farfel), and Sandy Becker for "Taste-ee Cakes".

And "The Flinstones" touting WINSTON cigarettes!

And, recall, the musical "Cracker-Jack" commercials, featuring veteran character actor Jack Guilford?

Remember, too, Jack Guilford and Thelma Ritter (aka "The Bronx Buzzsaw") were featured in 1967's b/w thriller "THE INCIDENT", playing passengers aboard a 1938 WF "Eye-Are-Tee" car ("Toid Aven-uh" El up in "da Bronx"!); the carload of passengers were terrorized by two maniacal young punks (though QUITE tame by today's standards, I am sure this flick scared more than a few movie-goers!)

Ed McMahon was also aboard, riding the 'Eye-Are-Tee" with his wife and young daughter.

The sounds of ancient prewar "Eye-Are-Tee" cars (assorted hisses, growls, whines, and whooping compressors) indeed brought back a trainload of "Aitch & Em" memories; the "Black" cars sounded just the same! Wink

"NYO"

["DYRE AVE."]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further:

There is an excellent Wikipedia page on "THE INCIDENT: however, as the url contains parentheses, I cannot hotlink. Sad

Interestingly, the "Tee-Yay" flat-out refused to allow the producers to film aboard an actual IRT train, so a VERY REALISTIC (fooled me for years!) studio mockup of the interior of WF "Lo-V" #5674.

Exterior shots of the trains and (elevated) stations were filmed "undercover" by having the camera hidden in a cardboard box!

Man, how things have changed.....(!!) Shocked

Still a VERY riveting film today, and, of course, one that is a classic among us older transit enthusiasts, who, like Your's Truly, grew up with wonderfully old-fashioned, noisy, growling prewar trains......... Wink

"NYO"

["5674"]
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further:

There is an excellent Wikipedia page on "THE INCIDENT: however, as the url contains parentheses, I cannot hotlink. Sad

Interestingly, the "Tee-Yay" flat-out refused to allow the producers to film aboard an actual IRT train, so a VERY REALISTIC (fooled me for years!) studio mockup of the interior of WF "Lo-V" #5674.

Exterior shots of the trains and (elevated) stations were filmed "undercover" by having the camera hidden in a cardboard box!

Man, how things have changed.....(!!) Shocked

Still a VERY riveting film today, and, of course, one that is a classic among us older transit enthusiasts, who, like Your's Truly, grew up with wonderfully old-fashioned, noisy, growling prewar trains......... Wink

"NYO"

["5674"]

This, while actual rivets were used to build subway cars presumably such as those WF's, and definitely the "Arnines."
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

Ahhh, "rivets"!

NO WONDER those classic prewar cars looked like (and were BUILT like) BATTLESHIPS! Shocked

Just imagine an "Arnine" taking on a "rolling iPad" NTT......OUCH!!!!!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked

Recall the verticle rins on the sides of the H&M's "Black" cars; in "RAILS UNDER THE MIGHTY HUDSON" (Cudahy) he states that these side ribs were meant to simulate the "luxurious wooden parlor cars" of that era.

"NYO"

["H&M"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For several reasons, you came to mind, when I came across this photo snapped at "COURT SQUARE", circa-late 1970s/early 1980s..........Wink

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?115897

["897"]
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For several reasons, you came to mind, when I came across this photo snapped at "COURT SQUARE", circa-late 1970s/early 1980s..........Wink

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?115897

["897"]

Those columns separating the Queens-bound from the Manhattan-bound tracks (spaced 5' apart) were four uneven 'L' sections (usually 4" x 3" x 3/8") fused together with rivets to a 6-1/8" x 5/16" web plate. Obviously indicates a section drawn together (and the necessary materials ordered) prior to 1929 (though the 23rd Street-Ely Avenue station didn't exist until 1939, and was the last to use the variant of lettered and numbered tiles that had been in use since the "Eye-See-Oh-Ess" ["Independent City-Owned Subway" - "Eye-En-Dee" only took off after the 1940 unification] earliest days - and, on the original Eighth Avenue line, was used from 207th Street to 116th Street, and again from West 4th Street to what was originally Chambers Street-Hudson Terminal).

Oh, and that pic was more early to mid-'80's. Had it been late 1970's / early '80's, the 'F' would have been colored magenta rather than orange, and the insignia on a white background while the directions were in black.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 16 of 18

Jump to: